Challenge Participant

Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

The Hueys in It Wasn't Me by Oliver Jeffers

It Wasn't Me - The Hueys

Meet the Hueys - a fabulously quirky group of characters from international bestselling, award-winning author/illustrator, Oliver Jeffers, creator of How to Catch a Star and Lost and Found. A fight has broken out amongst The Hueys. "It was not me! It was him!" But no one can remember what they're fighting about. If only they could find an interesting distraction...


While I was reading this I am surrounded by the sounds of yet another argument between my two children - and when I ask them what it is going on and who started it I was treated to an almost identical storyline to the story I had just read, the main line being 'It wasn't me!'

This is a very clever book - a story with few words and very simplistic drawings - black and white line drawings, simple shapes very few colours, however when colour is used, it is used to perfection. I especially liked the colour used for the argument. 

The words are presented on the page very clearly, using a strong, and bold font, and the speech is presented in speech bubbles, using an italic font.

I think that this book would be a great one for sharing at story time and also in primary school lessons as a clear and exact lesson in the use of speech in stories.

I received this book from the publishers, Harper Collins Children's Books, in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment