Challenge Participant

Pages

Thursday 25 July 2013

It's Raining Men by Milly Johnson

It's Raining Men

A summer getaway to remember. But is a holiday romance on the cards…? Best friends from work May, Lara and Clare are desperate for some time away. They have each had a rough time of it lately and need some serious R & R. So they set off to a luxurious spa for ten glorious days, but when they arrive at their destination, it seems it is not the place they thought it was. In fact, they appear to have come to entirely the wrong village… Here in Ren Dullem nothing is quite what it seems; the lovely cobbled streets and picturesque cottages hide a secret that the villagers have been keeping hidden for years. Why is everyone so unfriendly and suspicious? Why does the landlord of their holiday rental seem so rude? And why are there so few women in the village? Despite the strange atmosphere, the three friends are determined to make the best of it and have a holiday to remember. But will this be the break they all need? Or will the odd little village with all its secrets bring them all to breaking point…?

In the modern world today, when everyone is very busy with their own lives - both work and home life - take over and time with friends becomes scarce. This is exactly what has happened to May, Lara and Clare, and so they scheduled a holiday away together many months in advance. However, a computer glitch meant that the holiday they wanted to book, was actually incorrectly booked and the friends ended up in a cottage in a small village where the locals were very unfriendly and practically refused to serve any outsiders. 

The friends soon discover that there is something not quite right in village and they think that the key is the three Hathersage brothers who the three friends have each taken a shine to. There is also Raine, an old lady who is in a wheelchair, who lives in a cottage on the cliff. 

'It's raining men' is the latest book by Milly Johnson, one of my favourite authors. When I pick up a Milly Johnson book I know that I am going to get a great story, often with humour, but always full of women, who are great friends and this book is no exception. However, this book I thought had a slightly different feel to it, with the local history and local beliefs, I felt the story was truly British - Britain has lots of folklore and local customs and beliefs and this book really went down this route. Ren Dullum sounded like a beautiful country village and I would love to visit there because through Johnson's narrative I was able to picture the village and all the characters who lived there.

The characters also were fantastic - there were the three Hathersage brothers - I think I liked Gene the most, the strong, mysterious carpenter, although I did feel sorry for Francis and the hold that Daisy had over him. I also liked Jenny in the cafe - I think that although she was a villager, she wanted to push the villagers into accepting tourists and newcomers. I think that a lot of the villagers had been born and bought up in the village and were totally immersed in village life and the beliefs. 

In summary this book is fantastic - absolutely brilliant. I definitely recommend this as the book every beach bag must contain this summer. It is lighthearted and allows escapism, along with the British belief of village life and folklore. I know that if get away to a holiday cottage this year I will be searching for the secret door which leads to a private lagoon to swim in.

Thank you to the author, Milly Johnson, and the publishers, Simon and Schuster, for sending me the book to review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, my love. I am SO glad you enjoyed it xx

    ReplyDelete