Challenge Participant

Pages

Friday 11 October 2013

Herman's Letter by Tom Percival

Herman's Letter

What do you do when your best friend in the whole wide world has to move a long way away? Promise to write to each other ALL the time and to stay best friends FOREVER, that's what. But it's easier said than done - especially when your best friend seems to be having much more fun than you are ...Join Herman the bear as he embarks upon one epic journey to deliver a very special letter and to ensure that his friendship with Henry the raccoon really is FOREVER.

I loved this book - Herman is an adorable character and his friend Henry the raccoon is fantastic friend. It bought back childhood memories to me because when I was in primary school, my best (boy)friend moved from the midlands to Scotland and we wrote to each other for years -on our favourite Mr Men writing paper. Nowadays though, children who have friends who have moved away will keep in contact via skype or email. If I suggest to my children to sit down and write a letter they don't know what to do. However this book really shows the importance of letters to bring news. I also really liked that the letters were stuck in the book - folded over for little hands to open. They also look like real letters - address and stamp on the outside and stamped as if delivered. 

It is a beautiful book to give as a gift this Christmas and hopefully will encourage lots of children to start letter writing and sending them to friends.

Thank you to the publishers, Bloomsbury, for sending me the book to review. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this review! My daughter works with pre-school children and she always encourages them to 'write' letters. Her home has a whole room dedicated to children's books....

    ReplyDelete