Challenge Participant

Pages

Tuesday 14 August 2012

My Granny is a Pirate by Val McDermid and Arthur Robins

My Granny is a Pirate

 My granny is a pirate! She's sailed the seven seas. She captured many pirate ships But was always home for tea. When a family secret about Granny is revealed, we discover all about her fiercesome pirate reputation and her swashbuckling ways - from making other rogueish pirates walk the plank to singing sea shanties to her dog, Jolly Roger. Look again at your granny...could she be a pirate too? A must-have book for all pirate fans.

When I heard that Val McDermid was going to be writing children's books I was surprised - most people associate the name Val McDermid with crime novels, a genre far away from children's books. When I was offered the chance to review her book, I jumped at the chance.

THe book is written in rhyme and is all about a Granny who has a secret, she is a pirate! The story is quite slow at the start but towards the end the story gathers a little pace. It is a story that I am sure children will be reciting of their favourite parts after listening or reading the story a few times.

The illustrations that accompany the story are great. They capture alot of  the rhyme and also capture the mischievousness of Granny.

I would recommend this book for slightly older children (5+) because I think the story is aimed more for them. It would be a great gift for any pirate loving children.

I received this book through the Amazon Vine Programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment