Challenge Participant

Pages

Sunday 10 July 2011

The Fearsome Beastie by Giles Paley-Phillips




The Fearsome Beastie is searching for something to eat and children are at the top of the menu. Will they be fooled by his clever tricks or can Pete's Granny save the day?

The Fearsome Beastie is a brand new title by poet Giles Paley-Phillips. Written in rhyme, this story is reminiscent of the cautionary fairy tales of the past but with a happy ending!

This book will appeal to any children who like monsters and beasts rather than fairy tales. A great gift for little boys who don’t like the nice, happily ever after tales we grew up with.

I read this book and when I was halfway through when Granny arrived with the axe I was shocked, horrified of what might happen however I turned the page and liked the twist at the end.

I think children will enjoy this book because it is told in rhymes, the illustrations are of a very high quality and superbly coloured. The moral of the story is a good one and its gruesomeness will appeal to children of all ages.

However it is also a great book to share between an adult and child – there are so many talking points: feelings and emotions, the pictures show a wide range of emotions from the children, and this is down to the illustrations of Gabriele Antonini, a brilliant illustrator.

I would recommend this book to children who like monsters and beasts and want something different to fairy tales, princesses and other popular genres within children’s books.

Thank you to Maverick Arts Publishers for sending me this book to review.

1 comment:

  1. I might have to get my hands on this one. I really think my 'little guys' would love it. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete