Challenge Participant

Pages

Friday 27 December 2013

Take a Look at Me Now by Miranda Dickinson

Take a Look at Me Now

How far would you go to make a new start? Heart-warming and romantic, Take a Look at Me Now will make you laugh, cry and cheer Nell on from start to finish. What a difference a day makes...Nell Sullivan has always been known as 'Miss Five-Year Plan'. But when she finds herself jobless and newly single on the same day, Nell decides it is time to stop planning and start taking chances. Nell blows her redundancy cheque on a trip of lifetime to a place where anything is possible - San Francisco. There she meets a host of colourful characters, including the intriguing and gorgeous Max. Very soon the city begins to feel like Nell's second home. But when it's time to return to London, will she leave the 'new Nell' behind? And can the magic of San Francisco continue to sparkle thousands of miles away?

I really enjoy Miranda Dickinson's books and look forward to her new releases each year. Her books are well written, with a good storyline throughout the book. 

This book starts with, what many people would say was their worst nightmare. Nell has recently split up with her long term boyfriend, who is also her boss at work, and when she is called into his office one morning, does not expect to be told she, along with many of her work colleagues, is being made redundant. She decides to visit her cousin in San Francisco for eight weeks and forget all her problems until she returns. What she didn't expect, was to meet Max and when she leaves for home, she also leaves a piece of her heart. After her return home, Nell decides to follow her dreams of opening her own restaurant/diner and when help arrives from a surprising source she does not expect what happens next.

I have never been to San Francisco and have never really known anything about the city or surrounding area, however after reading and loosing myself in the book I found myself wanting to know more about the area. This was due to the infectious storytelling style of Dickinson's writing. I enjoyed Nell's travels around the area and would love to visit there myself one day.

The story was well written, with strong characters throughout. The storytelling is fantastic and I really enjoyed the tours around San Francisco and the descriptions of the mysterious pavement art which regularly appears around the city. 

Having met Miranda at a local book signing and watching her vlogs online I can hear Miranda throughout the book.. Her infectious laughter and excited chat is throughout the story.

I have recommended this book to lots of my friends and I recommend it to all my blog readers too - it is a fantastic read! Miranda Dickinson is a fantastic author and she brings a smile to my face every time I pick up one of her books.

I received this book through Netgalley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment